Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Leaving A Legacy

I had intended to write about supper-swapping today, but I have something else on my heart and feel I must share it...

I received a gift this week. A simply gift, really, but one that touched my heart deeply. My best friend, Linda, learned that I wanted a specific ringtone for my cell phone. She surprised me by having her son, Matthew, send it directly to my phone. I cried when I received it because this song has such special meaning to me. The song is Legacy and was written and recorded by Christian artist, Nichole Nordeman. I don’t know if you are familiar with it, but I am including the lyrics, below. Please note especially the chorus, which I have highlighted.

Legacy
I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy


I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

~~Nichole Nordeman

(For some reason I am unable to link this successfully, so to hear this song in its entirety and see the video, please paste this address directly into your browser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbi4nSrhRxo

The lyrics of this song are so close to my heart. When I hear them I wonder...am I doing enough to show love to those who feel unloved? Am I really inviting those to our home who don’t feel like they belong anywhere, with anyone? While there is certainly nothing wrong with having fun and offering hospitality, in my effort to do so, am I making enough of an effort to place the focus where it belongs and point to the One who loves us unconditionally? And do I do so unashamedly, unapologetically?

Tough questions. I’m not sure I have the answers. If I do, I'm not sure I like them. If you’re sitting around town and you hear my cell phone ring, you’ll know I’m still asking myself.

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy


(If you have still not been able to see the video, go to Google, type in
Nichole Nordeman Legacy Video
and you'll see a photo with piano keys. Click on this. It's a YouTube video.)

No comments: