Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spring Break Tennessee Style



We have a sign above an armoire in our kitchen that says “Come on in & sit a spell.” I love this because it reminds me of my southern upbringing. Those days were a time when family and friends stopped by unannounced - so much so, in fact, that it was common place.

I must admit, that while I love to invite folks to come in and join us in our home, I generally do not like to visit others unannounced. I always like to call before popping in on someone, but this week, we did just that.

Our son was on spring break from college and he, my husband and I went to our place in Tennessee to stay for a few days. While there we decided to visit my Aunt Juanita and Aunt Sue who have homes nearby. I generally let them know when we’re in the area. That way, they know to expect us sometime during a few days’ span. They may not know the exact time we might stop by, but they do know it’s probable. This time, however, I didn’t even tell them we were in the area. So, against my normal manner of doing things, we just dropped in. Although a bit surprised, they greeted us warmly and were as gracious as if they’d expected us for weeks. We enjoyed catching up with them and spending time with them in their beautiful homes. Although we only stayed with them a little while, the “Come on in & sit a spell” was their grace and hospitality in action, as they could not have been more welcoming.

We enjoyed all our time in Tennessee so much. The weather was just gorgeous. Coming from Ohio with snow on the ground, it was a pleasure and a blessing to wear sandals from the time I left to the time I returned. We had temperatures from the low 60s to the low 70s while we were there and Matthew was able to play golf for the first time in about 6 months. I’m not sure who was happier to be on the golf course – Matthew or his parents (and we don’t even play!).

Even more special was the time we spent with our boy. "Come on in & sit a spell" was like our mantra for the week and catching up with him in our home away from home was priceless. We laughed and talked and reminisced and dreamed. We kicked back and relaxed on the wonderful back porch. Getting away from the stresses and hassles of everyday life and going to a place without the usual distractions was a welcome change. I realize that spring breaks of the future will likely be different than the one Ken and I enjoyed with Matthew this year. For that reason, these last few days are even more special and are ones I’ll visit often in my memory.

2 comments:

Helen Meyers said...

what a wonderful memory! Thanks again for sharing, Vanessa :-)

Vanessa said...

Thanks, Helen. I always appreciate your support of my blog. :)